For most people who experience depression, changes to their mood aren’t the only symptoms they experience. This disorder usually also affects how a person thinks and acts, often having a negative impact on both their personal relationships and their ability to function at work or school. Many also lose interest in hobbies or activities that they used to enjoy, which can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness. Depression can also make you feel lethargic and unmotivated, and can even cause real physical pain. If you are currently dealing with the effects of depression, seeking treatment is vital to your emotional, mental, and even physical well-being. Depression is a very treatable condition, and Advaita Integrated Medicine: Advaita Integrated Medicine is here to help with depression treatment in Raleigh.
What is Depression?
Depression is a relatively common – but still serious – mental health condition. Depression is more than just sadness; it denotes changes in your mood that have a negative impact on your quality of life. The most common symptoms of depression include:
- Feelings of sadness, emptiness, or hopelessness for longer than a two-week period
- A loss of interest or pleasure in activities that you usually enjoy
- Changes to your sleeping patterns, whether sleeping too much or too little
- Significant weight gain or loss
- Feeling fatigued for no reason
- Feeling guilty, or that you are worthless
- Problems concentrating or remembering things
- Thinking about self-harm or suicide
Not everyone experiences depression in the same way, so your symptoms may be totally different from someone you know.