When it comes to misunderstood diseases in the U.S. today, drug addiction certainly tops the list. Many people believe that addiction is a choice and that people who can’t stop using them are “weak” or lack the willpower to do so. In reality, however, addiction is a very serious disease that takes proper treatment to overcome. Our team at Advaita Integrated Medicine: Advaita Integrated Medicine looks to combat the disease of drug addiction at our outpatient rehab facility in Raleigh, NC.
Addiction is considered a chronic disease because it changes the way that certain parts of your brain work, making it very difficult to stop using. People who have a drug addiction compulsively seek out their substance of choice even when they realize that it is causing them harm.
Signs and Symptoms of Drug Addiction
For many people, the most difficult thing about having an addiction is being able to admit that they have a problem. Often, people simply can’t see how big of an impact substance abuse is having on their well-being. This is because they are so fixated on their next dose. Some people, on the other hand, are very good at hiding the fact that they are using and abusing drugs. If you aren’t certain if you or someone you know has a drug addiction, there are some signs that you can look for, including:
- Spending a lot of time alone
- Giving up on activities you used to enjoy in order to do drugs instead
- Ignoring your personal appearance/basic hygiene
- Feeling sad or tired most of the time
- Significant changes in sleeping patterns or weight
- Frequent and severe mood swings
- Constantly worrying about the next time that you are going to use drugs
- Resorting to things like stealing or lying to get drugs
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms if you go too long without using